UU: MA Conflict Studies and Human Rights Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Email for interview material?

3 posters

Go down

Using Email for interview material? Empty Using Email for interview material?

Post by Davey Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I just had a brief interview with an academic coordinator who held an event preaching North Korean awareness (as part of news letter reporting for my Org, and not so much for my research). I didnt have atape recorder with me, and I told her I wanted to use a couple of her comments in writing by emailing her about what we talked about. It worked out and she gave me a lotta great material to use, in writing. I see a lotta pros and cons of using email as a means of non in depth interviewing. But overall, what do you guys think?

Pro
Quick, Convenient, no having to set scheudles and meet
Can get comments in writing

Con
Very tedious to write
not very in depth. Same setbacks as giving questionnaires I imagine

I am thinking of using perhaps email as a way to access a certain North Korean defector. The research at my organizaiton says that recorded conversations are generally forbidden with NK defectors. So if you cannot get a transcription, then i suppose email might be a viable option. Anythign else Im missing?
Davey
Davey
Admin

https://conflicthumanrights.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Using Email for interview material? Empty Re: Using Email for interview material?

Post by Broccoli Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:16 pm

You forgot "risk to privacy and confidentiality" as one of the cons. That is, if certain regimes make it a habit to hack into people's email accounts.

The important think to keep in mind is that the researcher has to be flexible, imaginative, and ingenious when it comes to (new ways of) collecting data. But just make sure always to reflect on a number of issues when doing so, including: (1) efficiency of technique, (2) accuracy of data collection, and (3) ethical considerations, esp. confidentiality and protecting respondent from possible harm.
Broccoli
Broccoli

Back to top Go down

Using Email for interview material? Empty Re: Using Email for interview material?

Post by Niels Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:38 am

Stupid question perhaps, but how do you refer to email-interviews in your footnotes? I have never done this before. Do you refor to the as regular interviews or do you have to add that the information came from an email?
Niels
Niels

Back to top Go down

Post by Broccoli Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:41 am

Niels wrote:Stupid question perhaps, but how do you refer to email-interviews in your footnotes? I have never done this before. Do you refor to the as regular interviews or do you have to add that the information came from an email?

You can refer to all types of interviews in a foot- or endnote like this:

7. Author's interview with Artemio Guevarra, commander of Tambillo district's self-defence committees, at Guamalteca city, Guamalteca, on 21 March 2019.

Or:

7. Author's interview by email with Artemio Guevarra, commander of Tambillo district's self-defence committees, Guamalteca, on 21 March 2019.

Many authors prefer to give a pseudonym to their respondents, so that no harm can come to them.

Broccoli
Broccoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down